WHETHER YOU KNOW IT OR NOT, WE WERE ALL TRAINED BY ONE THING OR ANOTHER TO HATE BREAKFAST.
So I was talking to a few people over the weekend and my findings weren’t surprising. Everyone I spoke to seemingly had varying ideologies regarding the subject and they were nearly the same. No ideology was peculiar to an individual as a large number of people especially Nigerians have the same disposition towards breakfast; which was formed by these happenstances –which I have highlighted.
Over here on this side of the Atlantic, there are quite a number of factors that contribute to our near hatred for breakfast. I’ll limit factors to findings uncovered during the chit chat over the weekend but if you think there’s more, feel free to leave us a reply in the comment section below.
Alright here we go:
1. Tradition: you know how it is said “train up a child in the way that he should go, when he is old he won’t depart from it”? Many said they grew up not eating breakfast in their homes and as such it stuck with them over the years.
2. Cost of food: damn! One thing that’s very expensive in the country and many parts of Africa is food. So in order to save cost and eat enough food to keep one alive, many make the choice of skipping breakfast and somehow makes up for it with lunch. Someone said, “That’s using one stone to kill two birds”.
3. Eating operation model: if you schooled in Nigeria you certainly picked up a model, either 111 (no skipped meal) or 101 (lunch skipped) or 011 (breakfast skipped) or 110 (dinner skipped). The 011 model happens to be the famous of them all because you have to race to school in the mornings for lectures. This also translated to working class, you find that you don’t have the time to have breakfast as you are racing to work and don’t have sufficient time.
4. Time: there’s hardly ever enough time to have breakfast as there is always something calling for your attention. You either want to beat the traffic, or be early for a meeting, save time to finish up on a pending task or something.
5. Assumption: a lot of people had their individual assumption about breakfast. One said it makes him slow, another said it makes her sleepy, some other person said breakfast causes an itch in her throat, another said she likes to wait until she can no longer taste the toothpaste in her mouth. These assumptions have made them abstain from breakfast totally.
Well, whatever the reason for staying away from breakfast is, nutritionists have found that it is healthy for one to always endeavor to have breakfast. It keeps you from a vast number of sicknesses, regulates your blood sugar, keeps your heart running optimally, and gives you the vigor you need for the day.
However, a few brands have started a movement to encourage more people to eat breakfast daily and the trend is really catching on as the average Nigerian is a health conscious consumer.