JUST BEFORE YOU DO THE BIG CHOP
What is nappy hair? Simply natural tightly curled African hair, which has a lot of texture.
I’d like to start this story by saying, I have spent a long time considering getting dread locs because my hair is a literal bush and I am tired of crying whenever I go to the salon to get my hair done; in a nut shell, I am too chicken to keep a head full of beautiful Afro, yes yes yes! Go ahead and judge me if you must. (Let me know what you think about dreads by the way)
In this present era, trends are highly welcomed and religiously followed, such is the case of the natural hair, many have chosen to return natural, and the movement is strong with numerous Instagram accounts dedicated to showcasing black natural hair and countless features on platforms both local and international to show a welcome acclaim; while it may or may not be easy for you to let go of your now silky and straight hair to join the trail, I know you still want to, but what the natural hair bloggers and even enthusiasts don’t tell you about nappy hair is that with the neck or waist length healthy Afro comes intense headache and hand sprains from combing, moments when your hair feels like it is the same length even 8 months after; I have listed below some not so nice things you ought to know about nappy hair just before you do the big chop:
1. Half the time, your twist or braid outs won’t come out nicely
2. Your hair may grow really slowly
3. You might have to spend a ton of money on hair products
4. That shrinkage can’t always be sorted out and it’s annoying
5. You get asked annoying questions
6. You would be treated wrongly for just having an Afro
7. It is time consuming, if you want to stick to a good care regimen
8. You might think you look terrible for a long while
9. Natural hair does not equal healthy hair
Before you think I am here to make you hate your curls, here are some pros to go with all the cons that there is:
1. It attracts attention, the good kind!
2. It gives you a distinct look, trust me everything looks good with an Afro.
3. You don’t have to be scared of being in the rain
4. It is highly versatile and never boring, you can switch up your look in seconds
5. It takes the place of extra jewelry and accessories.
6. You have the most fun with it
My opinion about the natural hair rave? Do whatever makes you happy!