LUKA MODRIC MAKES HISTORY AS HE ENDS A TREND TO START A NEW ONE WITH THE BALON D’OR TITLE
I thought this trend will never end; however, it ended to usher in a new beginning.
Finally someone other than the dynamic duo Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi has won the prestigious Balon d’or. Luka Modric, the 33 year old Real Madrid and Croatian mid-fielder has ended the 10 year dominance of the dynamic duo by clenching the world best title in 2018.
Luka Modric who has won the Champions League 3 consecutive times with 2017 being the most recent, got to the World cup finals where his team came second after losing to France, and has also clenched a number of awards in 2018. The fantastic mid-fielder hopes to have begun a new trend where the balon d’or no longer belongs to just two people but to world class footballers around the world.
I am a Cristiano Ronaldo fan and I wouldn’t have been sad if he won it again but it gave me some level of gladness to see Luka win, he is well-deserving as his quality has never depreciated.
Two Africans Mohammed Salah and Sadio Mane (both Liverpool forwards) also made history as they came 5th and 19th runners up respectively for the title – may be next year guys.
Here is a list of the top ten Balon D’Or nominees
1. Luka Modric (Real Madrid and Croatia)
2. Cristiano Ronaldo (Juventus and Portugal)
3. Antoine Griezmann (Atletico Madrid and France)
4. Kylian Mbappe (Paris St-Germain and France)
5. Lionel Messi (Barcelona and Argentina)
6. Mohamed Salah (Liverpool and Egypt)
7. Raphael Varane (Real Madrid and France)
8. Eden Hazard (Chelsea and Belgium)
9. Kevin de Bruyne (Manchester City and Belgium)
10. Harry Kane (Tottenham and England)
Can’t wait to see who the world best would be in 2019.