IN HONOUR OF INTERNATIONAL WOMEN'S DAY, HERE IS A CAREFULLY PREPARED PLAYLIST OF OUR FAVOURITE "BLACK WOMEN" SONGS WE WANT YOU TO LISTEN TO TODAY
In the society we live in, being a woman is hard, being a black woman is harder. As a woman we are from time told to do the most; talk more girly; that's not how a girl laughs; close your leg while you sit; you must be able to cook (to keep your man); if you are not married, you are either cursed or not doing the right thing; you should not to be successful, so a man can approach you; you are at fault if you get raped or molested, were you properly dressed? Oh as a black girl it gets even deeper; hated for everything we have from our lips, hair, body, skin and for merely even existing; segregated from everything that has success attached to it.
So in honour of international women's day, we have a playlist that represents black women in a way we would proudly associate with as well as lyrics you can totally relate to.
1. Don't Touch My Hair- Solange
2. Black Girl Pain- Talib Kweli
3. U.N.I.T.Y- Queen Latifah
4. No Scrubs- TLC
5. Greatest Love Of All- Whitney Houston
6. Doo Wop (That Thing)- Lauryn Hill
7. Feeling Good - Nina Simone
8. I'm Every Woman- Chaka Khan
9. Formation- Beyonce
10. Superwoman- Alicia Keys
11. Strength, Carriage, Wisdom - Indiana Arie
12. New Agenda- Janet Jackson
13. Q.U.E.E.N- Janelle monae ft Erykah Badu
14. Feeling Myself- Nicki Minaj Ft Beyonce
Happy International Women's Day, especially to all my strong black women! and happy listening.